Since the holidays seem to spring up on us so quickly every year, we are helping you get a jump start by celebrating Christmas in July. Our knitalong / crochetalong this month will be for holiday stockings. If you don’t celebrate Christmas, feel free to stitch any other holiday themed project that you want for this month. Our goal is to crank out one stocking by the last day of July.
Luckily MillaMia has served up a wonderful stocking kit and pattern for you!
MillaMia arrived at the shop in February of this year, and we have been in love with their children’s patterns and lovely machine washable merino yarn. It is a sport weight that works really nicely with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, making the color combinations almost endless. The MillaMia Stocking Kit options are:
- Candy Cane: 4 balls of yarn plus the pattern, $50
- Cables: 3 balls of yarn plus the pattern, $40
- Nordic Star: 3 balls of yarn plus the pattern, $40
In addition, you can download the pattern for free here and use any combination of sport weight yarn! Though pictured above in Scarlet, these kits also come in Moss and Snow.
We will also have a free crochet stocking pattern on the blog very very soon, so stay tuned…
Skills needed for this project:
- Ability to knit and purl
- Ability to K2tog, SSK or SKPO
- For Nordic Star: basic color work skills
- For Candy Cane Stripe: ability to change colors in stripe
- For Cable: basic cabling abilities
Here is how it works:
- Purchase your supplies at the shop.
- Once you have picked out your supplies, be sure to let us know that you are in the knitalong by posting in our Ravelry forum.
- Finish the project by July 31st and be entered to win a $50 gift certificate. Finish two or three or four stockings and be entered several times…
- To enter: post a link to your project on Ravelry or post a photo. You can also email us a photo or stop by the shop with your finished stocking!
After much planning and plotting, I figured out what each member of my family would be getting for their stocking and coordinated the colors with my retro tree skirt (which is a workshop being offered this month as well). Here is my color palette for stockings:
I am going to combine all three patterns for a nice mix of stockings on our mantle. The first one that I completed was the Nordic Star. I just need to seam it up.
Here are some other fun color combos that I put together to inspire your own stocking projects: