- This event has passed.
Modular Cabling with Negative Space – a workshop with Olga Buraya-Kefelian
We all love the look of cabled knits but some of them can be quite complex to execute! In this class students will be presented with a novel option of creating cables using nontraditional techniques. Combining elements of both modular knitting and working fabric with negative space allows one to knit additional texture for a striking looking fabric that is much more malleable. After the presentation, the students put their newly acquired knowledge to use as they knit on RENREN cabled hat using one of these unique techniques.
Skills needed: knowing how to knit, purl, decrease, increase, knit in the round, cast on, bind off.
- How to work mirrored backward loop increases
- How to read a chart
- How to knit modular style and even knit backwards for a 3D look of cables
- How to perform several methods of cabling and decreases
- Tips and suggestions on when to use all of these techniques in knitwear
SIZES 1 (2) To fit head+hair circumference 20-22 (23-24)” / 51-56 (58.5-61) cm
Circumference at the widest point 20 (22½)” / 51 (57) cm
Circumference at brim 19½ (21½)”/ 49.5 (53.5) cm
Total Height/Length 9¾-10” / 24.5-25.5 cm
- 214 (239) yds / 196 (219) m of any Aran weight yarn. This pattern was designed in Woolfolk Luft.
- US 8 (5 mm) 16” / 41 cm circular and dpns (for CO and body)
- US 7 (4.5 mm) 16” / 41 cm circular (for CO and ribbing) and a spare needle
- Removable Stitch Marker
- Crochet Hook size G (4 mm)
- Cabled Needle or Spare dpn
- Purchase RENREN hat pattern and bring to class.
Cast on for the hat in size of your choice and work ribbing until “Cabled Body”.
This workshop will meet indoors in our second floor event space. Covid 19 vaccine is required and must be provided before attending class. At this time, masks will be required during the workshop.