*UPDATED 1/28/19 – Classes are suspended at this time as the government has reopened!
fibre space is offering free learn to knit classes for all furloughed government employees and federal contractors during the shut down. Join us to pick up a new skill, or just come and hang out in our lounge space for some stash-busting time. Staff and volunteers will be on hand to teach, help with dropped stitches, and all your other needs.
**If you are new to knitting, please plan to arrive on Tuesday, January 29 to start our next three part Intro to Knitting class. Classes will begin at the start of the week each week until the furlough ends.
Our schedule for the upcoming week is below. We’ll be updating here and on Instagram with additional days.
For Intro to Knitting:
All you need to learn is a pair of size 8 needles in wood or bamboo, and 200 yards of worsted weight yarn. We have all the supplies available at the shop in a discounted kit for $15. There will also likely be some donated kits for those who need them.
–> To donate a kit to a furloughed knitter, use this link to purchase!
You will learn to make this scarf!
- 2oo yards of worsted weight yarn (we recommend Manos del Uruguay Alegria Grande or Maxima OR Berroco Ultra Wool)
- US #8 (5 mm) 16″ circular needle
- US #8 (5 mm) double pointed needles
- stitch marker
- OPTIONAL for fuzzy hat: one skein Manos del Uruguay Cabrito
- Copy of the Ambrose free hat pattern, by Manos del Uruguay
We will learn to make this hat!
- 200 yards of worsted weight yarn (we recommend Manos del Uruguay Maxima)
- OPTIONAL: 1 skein Neighborhood Fiber Co. Loft or Manos del Uruguay Cabrito
- US #9 (5.5 mm) 16″ circular needle
- Stitch Marker
- Copy of the Faded Lines free pattern
We will learn to make this!
For Fair Isle Hat:
- DK weight yarn in three colors (160 yds for main color, 40 yds for contrast color 1, 20 yards for contrast color 2 for the adult large size).
- US#4 and US#6 16″ circular needles
- US#6 double pointed needles, or size needed to get gauge
- stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- Copy of Clayoquot pattern, available on Ravelry
Homework, if possible: Please come to class with the hat cast on and the brim knit (until reaching the point of starting colorwork chart).