Take the time to celebrate the mothers in your life this Mother’s Day, May 13th. And if you’re a mom, start writing your wish list–we keep them on file at the shop! There are many ways to translate your love of yarn into a beautiful gift to honor the women most important to you.
Knitted Gifts – Make it personal by knitting something luxurious in her favorite color.
- The comfort of ultra-soft camel, alpaca, silk, and cashmere in Road to China Light makes it the ideal indulgence when whipped up into a frothy cowl.
- Hand-knitted socks in a thicker, DK-weight yarn make for perfect bed socks and are more feasible to finish by Mother’s Day. Knit a lacy pair with our hand-dyed Miss Babs Northumbria to make them extra special.
- A handmade dishrag adds a touch of luxury to household chores. One of my favorites is this scalloped hand towel, and with the updated palette of organic Debbie Bliss Eco Baby, it won’t look like a throwback to pastel kitchens. Wrap it up with a tin of all-natural Lavishea to treat her hands after washing dishes.
Give a gift of yarn – for mom to make something for herself, of course. Finish it with a set of our glass knitting needles from Moving Mud.
- Buttery-soft Swans Island Certified Organic Fingering is a knitter’s dream. Two skeins of this naturally-dyed yarn are gorgeous enough to sit on the coffee table, but they also make a wonderful Sakura shawl (pattern available in print at shop). Gift it with a bottle of the newest Soak scent, Lacey—the light bergamot adds an air of romance to a lace shawl.
- A bundle of Brooklyn Tweed LOFT is enough to inspire a slew of colorwork projects. Pick five colors and set her up with a kit to make the Seasons Hat (pattern available in print at shop).
- The soothing stockinette stitch in this streamlined cardigan is illuminated by The Fibre Company Acadia, a shimmering blend of silk and wool. A gift worthy of a mother’s love, especially when paired with our One World recycled Tagua buttons.
Little extras – notions, or books to inspire.
- Organizing is a beautiful thing when done with our silk Della Q needle cases, a company that benefits women in Vietnam.
- A set of interchangeable needles, lace or steel HiYa HiYa or KA Bamboo, are the ultimate knitter’s tool. We also carry sets of crochet hooks made from beautifully dyed Birch wood.
- My Grandmother’s Knitting – Because grandmother’s goods didn’t go out of style. The classic patterns and heartwarming stories are what I love about this book. Find designs by some of your favorites, including Norah Gaughan, Meg Swansen, and Kirsten Kapur.
- Vintage Modern Knits – A little bit vintage, a little bit modern. This book from the duo at Kelbourne Woolens continues to be one of my favorites because of the variety of techniques that are taught, and the versatility of the garments. From quick wrist warmers to elaborate, cabled sweaters, this is a book to be enjoyed for years.