You might remember the tiny Andrea’s shawl that I finished a couple of months ago. I had so much Malabrigo sock leftover that saved it up for a future shawl project. Originally I was going to use the two colors for the Daybreak shawl by Stephen West. After the Andrea’s Shawl was such a tiny disaster, I decided to give Daybreak a go. It is a pretty straightforward project. Throw in some markers, increase at the marker, slip some stitches and your golden. Except that half way through the project, I got tricked by the simplicity of the project and looked down and realized that I had been increasing at a marker that was intended to indicate a slipped stitch, not an increase, like the other markers. I had been doing this for about four inches of the shawl. I realized this as I was ending the stripe section and about to start the border (so… you know, an hour before the project was to end). So I ripped. It was painful, particularly since I felt like I had been knitting with this yarn for decades after having already made a shawl with it.
Last night while watching back to back episodes of Hoarders, I managed to finish the shawl. I blocked it by laying it out on our floor under a ceiling fan and just pushing on the edges to make them straight. This would probably have given Veronica fits, had she been there. No pins. No wire. Just a wet shawl.