Intimidated by bottom up sweaters? This classic cardigan is knit seamlessly from the bottom up! Learn how to pick up and knit set in sleeves and inline pockets without all the seaming of pieced sweaters!
Three 2 hour classes
Skills needed: Students should be able to knit, purl and work in the round.
- swatching and gauge
- how to select an appropriate sweater size
- decipher sweater pattern instructions
- increasing and decreasing
- learn in-line pockets and picked up set in sleeves
- learn how to pick up for button bands
- finishing techniques
Sizing 0-3 mo (3-6 mo, 6-12 mo, 1-2 yrs, 2-4 yrs, 4-6 yrs, 6-8 yrs, 8-10 yrs, Adult XS, S, SM, M, ML, L, LXL, XL, XXL, 3XL, 4XL) Finished chest: 17 (18, 19, 21, 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 35, 37, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 51, 55, 59) inches
- 300 (350, 400, 500, 650, 750, 900, 1000, 1150, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100, 2300, 2500) yards sock / 4-ply weight yarn
- US#3 (3.25 mm) and US#5 (3.75mm) in either 24″ or 32″ circular needles, or size needed to obtain gauge*
- US#3 (3.25 mm) and US#5 (3.75mm) double pointed needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- stitch holder (s) or waste yarn
- stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- copy of the Playdate sweater pattern by Tincanknits, available on Ravelry
Note: because this sweater is worked in fingering gauge, it is recommended that you choose a baby-toddler size sweater to keep up with the pace of the class. *Gauge is 24 sts & 36 rows / 4” in stockinette using larger needles
Homework: You must purchase your yarn and complete an accurate gauge swatch before arriving to class. The swatch should be blocked. To prepare a gauge swatch, please see this blog post or stop by the store for help. You should measure across stockinette stitch section to count number of stitches over 4 inches, both before washing and blocking and after.