Slip Stitch Colorwork Workshop with Olga Buraya-Kefelian
Introduce yourself to a world of colorwork with the Slip Stitch Method! This particular method was developed by Olga. She will walk you through the entire technique in this workshop, providing tips and tricks to ease your way into it. You will become the master of proper tension and learn how to manipulate your fabric regardless of your yarn choice, to achieve the most consistent and perfect results while making your own version of the Winter Suns Shawl. You will also learn how to adapt and shape it to your liking! You may choose to start the entire shawl or work on just a swatch to learn the technique.
knit, purl, cast on, bind off
- Slip Stitch Colorwork basics
- Picking correct yarns and textures for working colorwork
- Special method for trapping long floats in colorwork for maintaining perfect tension
- Reading slip stitch colorwork chart
- Customize finished accessory to taste
- Work I-cord Bind Off
Wingspan: Approx. 70.5 (76.5)” / 179.5 (194.5) cm.
Depth at widest point: 33 (37)” / 84 (94) cm.
- Size Small: 5 skeins of North Ave by Plied Yarn Co. (100% woolen spun wool, 215 yds /196 m – 50 g), colourway Divine (MC); 1 skein of Studio DK by Neighborhood Fiber Co. (100% wool, 275 yds / 251 m – 114 g), colourway Oliver (CC). OR approx. 980 yds / 890 m of fingering weight yarn for MC and 250 yds / 220 m or DK weight yarn for CC.
- Size Large: 6 skeins of North Ave by Plied Yarn Co. (100% woolen spun wool, 215 yds / 196 m – 50 g), colourway Webb (MC); 1 skein each of Studio DK by Neighborhood Fiber Co. (100% wool, 275 yds / 251 m – 114 g), colourways Cross Street Market (CC1), Butcher’s Hill (CC2) and Mondawmin (CC3). OR approx. 1150 yds / 1050 m of fingering weight yarn for MC and approx. 320 yds / 290 m of DK weight yarn for CC (95 yds / 85 m for CC1, 110 yds / 100 m for CC2, 115 yds / 105 m for CC3).
- US 5 (3.75 mm) 24” / 60 cm or longer circular needle for the stockinette stitch section
- US 4 (3.5 mm) 36” / 90 cm or longer circular for colorwork section
- An extra US 5 / 3.75 mm needle or DPN for i-cord bind-off.
- US size F-5 (3.75 mm) crochet hook, scrap yarn, tapestry needle.
- Copy of Winter Suns Shawl pattern (which is currently only available inside printed Laine magazine Issue 9) before arriving to class
If working on the Winter Suns Shawl, work entire Stockinette stitch section of the shawl prior arriving to class. If only willing to work on a swatch in class, no homework is required.