Want to knit with colorwork faster and in the method most suitable to your knitting style and liking. Learn 3 different methods to work colorwork flat by knitting this shawl. Discover best methods for trapping your floats to create attractive patterning on the wrong side of your fabric and practice to achieve better tension while using this technique.
*This class will have a one hour break from 12-1 pm. Lunch is not provided.
- Cast on
- Bind off
- Pick up stitches
- Be familiar with colorwork concept
- knitting colorwork flat using 3 different methods
- how to regulate tension
- trap long floats in a proper fashion to make reverse side appealing
578 yds of fingering weight yarn suitable for colorwork/ 3 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed LOFT in color MC
424 yds of fingering weight yarn suitable for colorwork/ 2 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed LOFT in CC
US 3 (3.25 mm) circular needle, 24-36″
US 5 (3.75 mm) circular needle, 36-40″
OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE
Waste yarn in similar weight
yarn guide (for continental style knitters)
Copy of Onpa Shawl
pattern, available in print at the shop or online
- Purchase the pattern for Onpa Shawl
- Work gauge swatch in Stockinette stitch to determine correct needle size
- IMPORTANT: Cast on and work Stockinette part of the shawl at home prior to class. You must complete this part before coming to class as we will be working on the fair isle section of our shawls throughout the workshop. (Plan to need at least a week to complete this homework).